5G isn’t that far away anymore. Early installation has already begun in cities throughout the U.S., with Verizon teasing that they would launch it within 30 cities by the end of 2019, and further rollouts by AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile to come not long after. Most experts predict that 5G will see mass adoption by the end of 2020.
As a business, that means you have less than two years to prepare for what many are calling the most revolutionary mobile network ever created. 5G offers latencies as low as 1ms, speeds over 1Gbps, and architecture with the ability to prioritize packets using network slicing.
These technological advancements will create an environment where you can out-compete your competition when it comes to quality of service, network availability, and the features you can offer. Still, your business and the products and services you offer need to be positioned to take advantage of 5G when it launches.
The Key Benefits of 5G in Real Time Communications
Whether you are a communication service provider (CSP), looking to build an internal app for your business or a reseller, 5G has a lot to offer. Here’s a list of the biggest benefits of 5G:
- Lower Latency – Technologies that rely on low latency will excel in the 5G environment where lag may drop as low as 1 ms.
- Faster Speeds – 5G is much faster than existing 4G networks. Upon further optimization, 5G may produce speeds as high as ten Gbps.
- Reliability – Improved reliability will see 5G become the standard for voice and video communications, in the health and hospitality industries where communication is essential, and for technologies that require reliable connectivity.
- Flexibility – Network slicing is 5G’s solution to the prioritization problem 4G experienced. Services using the network will be prioritized based on three categories: enhanced mobile broadband (eMBB) ultra-reliable and low-latency communications (uRLLC), and mass machine-type communications (mMTC).
- High Capacity – 5G’s high throughput and low latency will allow it to support a variety of devices and services simultaneously.
- Better Battery Life – 5G’s low latency will reduce the physical workload of your devices, greatly extending their battery life in the process.
Keep in mind these are only some of the benefits of 5G that we’ve envisioned so far. When the network launches, new and exciting technologies will develop around them, promoting further efficiency.
Making a Case for 5G and Your Business
Today, it’s hard to imagine a world without the Internet. It vastly changed the way we communicate, advertise, and do business. Just as the early 1990s were an exciting time as the Internet matured, 5G will usher in a new era of innovation in business.
PSB Research surveyed 3,500 people, including business decision leaders, tech enthusiasts, and analysts, asking them about 5G and its implications. Here’s what the results demonstrated:
- 91% expect new products and services to be invented as a result of 5G
- 87% believe that new industries will emerge
- 82% expect to see small businesses prosper and increased global competition
- 85% predict that 5G to make companies more competitive at the global level
- 89% estimate that it will lead to increased productivity
Don’t make the mistake of thinking that 5G will only lead to faster download speeds and better quality calls. It will offer both of those things, but it’s the increased reliability, flexibility, and output that will see it have a lasting impact on every facet of a business, our daily lives, and routines.
As Qualcomm President Christiano R. Amon stated, “With 5G, if you want to run something that requires a lot of processing power that’s traditionally only on PCs, you’ll be able to run that using the edge capability of the operator on 5G. So all of a sudden, your smartphone starts to become a more powerful platform for productivity.”
“As 5G grows, we’re going to have a technology platform which just becomes part of everything in society. That’s why we make the comparison to electricity: you’re just going to assume it’s there, that you’re going to be connected to the internet,” he said. “There’s going to be a lot of new applications and services.”
5G Business Benefits at Scale:
- Standardization of VoIP and mobile communications – There’s no denying the global adoption of mobile devices. Despite this, network availability and outages are still a common problem in many areas of the world. 5G will see mobile become a “general purpose technology” in the 5G Economy.
- Prioritization of packets – Network slicing will provide a considerable improvement over the architecture of existing networks. A company’s products and services will receive the resources they require to run as efficiently as possible. For VoIP providers, that means higher quality calls and fewer drop-offs.
- Rural communities will come online – Many individuals in rural areas still do not have adequate Internet connections and networks. 5G technology will provide these communities with access to a reliable mobile network, which could result in the creation of new businesses and customers for your services.
- Continued growth of AR/VR – The use cases for augmented and virtual reality are immense. AR and VR are currently limited by network and hardware availability. As these bottlenecks are solved, these technologies could change the retail, real estate, gaming, and tourism industries.
- Improved automation – The largest corporations are spending billions on automation. 5G’s low latency and high capacity make it ideal for automation in manufacturing and autonomous driving.
- Reduced costs – The transition from hardware-based to software-based technologies is already happening. 5G will encourage this transformation, lowering costs for businesses in the process.
- Location tracking – Similar to automation, location tracking services will thrive in low latency, high capacity environments. Businesses will be able to monitor shipments, work vehicles, and other location-sensitive tasks with pinpoint accuracy.
Start Preparing Now – 5G Is Nearly Here
You cannot afford to be unprepared when 5G goes live. Cloud Softphone simplifies the process for building your own 5G-ready, feature-rich VoIP platforms. We’re trusted by the largest CSPs in the telecommunications industry, and major names in both healthcare and hospitality.
For over 10 years, we’ve been preparing Cloud Softphone to handle the transition to 5G seamlessly. Take advantage of our rich feature set to build the mobile and desktop apps your business needs. We help you save money on development costs, provide constant support, and we are 5G-ready.
Please contact a member of our customer service team if you have any questions about Cloud Softphone, our 5G plan, and how our platform can help you grow and scale your business. 5G is coming! is your business ready for it?